Must have Nintendo Switch games

Image courtesy of Nintendo

Nintendo game Fire Embelm: Three Houses.

Reina Neri, Staff Writer

Love it or hate it, the Nintendo brand is ubiquitous on the gaming market, it’s no surprise that the Nintendo Switch is one of the most popular consoles. The Nintendo Switch has racked up about 28.83 million sales since its release on March 3, 2017. The Switch has been ranked as one of the top 10 consoles, while Nintendo itself is one of the big three video game companies. Other familiar consoles released by Nintendo are Nintendo 64, the Wii, the 3DS and the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). 

Not only is Nintendo well known for their consoles, but their video games as well. Nintendo has made over 3000 games over the years, their most iconic video games being the Mario series. 

Here is a collection of the highest rankings of games for this system according to top gaming critics and fans. So if you have a Switch, are planning to get one, or just interested in the topic itself, here are some solid recommendations on the best must-have Switch games.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate – 12/7/2018

Smash Bros Ultimate is the newest game in the Smash series, making it the fifth one to be released. Since 1999, companies HAL Laboratory and Sora LTD. have spent time working on these 60fps games. Smash Bros Ultimate is a fighting game featuring 74 different characters from the Nintendo franchise.

It includes characters from games such as The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. The game has lots of fun and interesting stages to fight in. It also allows you to create rules for your personal battles. Smash Bros Ultimate is currently running for $59.99. 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 5/29/2014

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 8 is a multiplayer racing game that allows up to four players if played locally. Like many Nintendo games, it is a part of a series.  The Mario Kart series has been around since 1992 and is one of the most iconic franchises of Nintendo. 

The game allows you to have raced against your friends and family with a selection of 49 various characters and awesome maps. You can buy this 60fps game for $59.99.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 3/3/2017

TLOZ: Breath of the Wild is a single-player action-adventure game. You play the role of Link, and your goal is to defeat the final humanoid boss Ganondorf. You must save the kingdom of Hyrule, by solving puzzles and completing objectives. 

The first game of the franchise was released in 1986 making it 35 years old. Breath of the wild runs on 60fps and is also for sale for $59.99. 

Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 10/31/2019

Luigi is one of the most popular and well-known Nintendo characters so it’s no surprise that his game is on the list.  Luigi’s Mansion 3 is the fifth game of its franchise, similar to Smash Bros.  Since 2000, one arcade game remake and three main games have been released.  

Luigi’s Mansion 3 runs on 30 fps and is a puzzle-like action-adventure game. You play as Luigi and explore each floor of the haunted hotel. Your goal is to save his friends in the haunted vacation that has gone wrong. 

The price of this game is $59.99. 

Fire Emblem: Three Houses  – July 26, 2019

Do you enjoy tactical RPG games?  If so, then Fire Emblem three houses is the game for you. There are 16 different Fire Emblem games, with each one having its own storyline and characters. In Three Houses,  you play as main character Byleth. 

There are three different routes, each having its own house with a group of students that you must teach in order to increase their skills. You engage in strategic battles and choose a path of your own in each route. This game is $39.99 and runs at 60 fps. 

Of course, there are many more must-haves and the list goes on. So here are some honorable mentions you could look into purchasing.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars 

An addicting action-adventure game, that is single-player for 2 out of the three stages. 

Mario Party 8

Both a single and 4-player game that is like a gameboard that involves mini-games and has various characters to choose from. 

Splatoon 2

A single-player third-person shooter game that involves paint and checkpoints. It is suitable for all ages.

As of now, there are plenty of soon-to-come games by Nintendo. As the release dates come closer many Nintendo fans are very excited for what’s to come. A few games that will be plausibly released this year include Mario Golf: Super Rush, TLOZ: Skyward Sword, and a possible Breath of the Wild 2. More fun to come.