Central girl’s golf finishes second in Valley

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Larson Brothers Photography

Matthew McCallough, Staff Writer

Central High School’s girl’s golf team completed their season tremendously as they placed second in the Valley, only missing the title by six strokes. Additionally, this year all six members of the team qualified to compete at the Valley level.

The team has stayed strong throughout the season keeping the competitiveness heavy, even during practices, by pushing each other every day to improve their level of play. “The girls are motivated by their desire to get better as a team. You could really see this during practice and our competitions. The girls get very competitive because everyone wants to win,” head coach Andres Reyes stated. 

The girls had many accomplishments as a collective unit, including shooting an all-time low in the league for the team at 468. “It was low enough that even though we are a D2 team we would have been able to compete as a D1 team,” he comments. There are personal achievements as well. Senior golfer and team captain Makayla Goforth qualified to play in the Southern Sectionals in Pasadena, as well as the Valley Individuals alongside junior Myndi Xiong.

Makayla comments, “Our team worked hard and put in a lot of time and dedication to deliver.” She is the only senior on the team and all five of the younger players are planning on returning next season. “Overall, our season went excellent. I love that when you are a part of the team the girls make you feel like family and treat you like family,” she added. Though Makayla graduates this year, Reyes says the team will remember the impact she has had on them in the future. This team is still young and looking for chances to improve their game. They will return next season hungry for that Valley title.