New African American literature class offered

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Crawford currently teaches English 1 and 2.

Photo By John Kipp

Photo By John Kipp

Photo By John Kipp

John Kipp, Staff Writer

Starting next school year, Central East will offer a new class focusing on African American Literature. This class will be available to juniors as an alternative to the standard core English class, and seniors can take it as an academic elective as well. The class will be taught by Language Arts teacher Carrie Crawford who currently instructs English one and two.

The class’s main focus is to shed a light on African American novelists, essayist, poets and political thinkers. Although the class is only in its first year of inception, the course subject matter has already attracted many new students. Sophomore Lauren Wood immediately enrolled after hearing about the course and explained, “I want to take this class because it’s a good way to learn about my roots and it wasn’t offered a year ago so it’ll be nice to be a part of it.” As a teacher, Crawford’s inclusive, supportive approach is also a draw for past students. Sophomore James Walker said, “She’s a really cool teacher. She’s someone I can learn from, someone who can walk me through things and make sure I understand.”

Introducing fresh courses or curriculum can be a challenge, but according to Crawford, the Central administration was open and supportive. Crawford explained that key administrators loved the idea and helped her implement the course quickly. “Ms. Richmond helped me out; in fact, she was the one who got it A-G for me,” explained Crawford. It took ample research and planning to get the course to the “A-G” point, but this means it is now a core English class that will count as required high school English credit.

As a core English class, there are no prerequisites to enroll, and the course is open to all juniors and seniors until the course class seats are filled.

Crawford recommends the course to all students, but especially those shooting for a more competitive college. “While good grades are an obvious requirement, many institutions will also look for kids with a variety of interests, ”  Crawford explained.

Alongside exposing students to black authors, it will give them a chance to learn more about culture, history, and heritage. In fact, one of the major projects Crawford has already planned will offer students the opportunity to learn about their own genealogy. For more information talk to Ms.Crawford in room 1403.