Central Employees of the Year recognized

Back to Article
Back to Article

Superintendent, Andrew Alvarado congratulating Central Unified's teacher of the year, HongChau Cousineau.

Photo by JT Dwiggins

Photo by JT Dwiggins

Photo by JT Dwiggins

Emily Keomany, Editor

The Central Unified Employee of the Year Recognition Ceremony celebrated 31 years of excellence on February 7, 2019. Central honored administrators, classified, and certificated employees. Every year, certain individuals are nominated by their peers or administrators and then selected by the District Office. Nominees for the Recognition Ceremony are notified a week before the event where friends and family gather to enjoy the wonderful celebration.

This year’s certificated winner is HongChau Cousineau, who is a first-grade teacher at Steinbeck Elementary. She was recognized for showing compassion for her students while maintaining high expectations. Upon receiving this award, Ms. Cousineau stated, “My heart is in the classroom and with the students I have had the pleasure of teaching.” Cousineau explained that she could not have done this for the last 15 years without the loving support of her family and colleagues. “I am grateful for my amazing teaching team and administrators at Steinbeck Elementary. I am very humbled and honored to be selected as Central Unified’s Teacher of the Year and hope to continue for many more years,” she added.

Steinbeck Elementary Principal Ying Lee received the Administrator of the Year award. She was recognized for showing a positive, professional, patient demeanor with everyone while meeting the specific needs of all students. Lee thanked her family, fellow administrators and teaching staff for supporting her educational efforts. This has allowed her to create and implement systems that put student learning and welfare first. She explained, “Our biggest purpose, our biggest goal, when we come to work everyday, is to be there for our students and for our staff.”

Classified winner Breann Hinkle, who is a student liaison at Pershing Continuation High School, has shown deep passion for service, students and the community. Her award distinguished her adeptness for connecting with students, staff and parents. She often provides emotional support for the students she works with. Hinkle stated, “I’m honored and it’s a blessing to work for Central Unified.”

Central Unified appreciates all of the wonderful, hard working people that keep the district up to excellence. Thank you and congratulations to this year’s winners.