Central Grizzlies Boys Basketball Season Recap

Senior+foward+Justice+Cole++going+up+for+a+dunk+on+a+fast+break.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior foward Justice Cole  going up for a dunk on a fast break.

Senior foward Justice Cole going up for a dunk on a fast break.

Photo By Jessica Romero

Photo By Jessica Romero

Photo By Jessica Romero

TJ Nijhar, Staff Writer

The Central Grizzlies boys basketball team finished the season 9-16 overall and  (5-5) in conference play. Central finished 4th in the conference behind Clovis West, Clovis East, and Clovis North. The Grizzlies were coming off 3 straight Valley titles from 2016-2018 and were looking to make it 4 straight but fell short this year. Senior guard Tahriq Sharp stated, “Central has been Valley champions in multiple sports and we wanted to add to that legacy.”

Although the Grizzlies didn’t add to that 4th title they also had some bright spots, getting big wins over Burbank, Liberty, and Clovis East. Another shining moment was freshman guard Jaylon Walton’s average of nearly 7 points a game. He had 3 games with 14 points or more this season. Jaylon is a player to watch in the future.

Senior Forward Justice Cole was also a huge part of this team, playing in 23 out of 25 games this year. Justice average 15.1 ppg and had six  20 point games this season.

Central is presently a young team with 6 underclassmen and a lot of learning to do this season.

Even though Central did not capture another Valley title the Grizzlies won 3 out of their last 4 games and made the playoffs as an 11th seed. Senior Forward Shayne Hollenbeck stated, “ This season didn’t go as we wanted, so we had a lot of ups and downs. I wouldn’t call our season a failure, but more of a learning experience. We could have done a lot of stuff differently.”

Central will be one of the interesting teams to watch in the future with 6 players returning. With almost double the population of most high schools and incoming talent, Central could be a dark horse team next year.