Last chance to help Holiday Joy drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Last chance to help Holiday Joy drive

East leadership students sort student Holiday Joy donations.

Jesse Herrera, Staff Writer

The Central High School Holiday Joy food drive, which began on November 27, will be ending on December 11. There are only a few more days left to help out families in need with donations of canned foods and other non-perishables. The drive specifically benefits families in the Central Unified district, ensuring they have what they need during the holidays and over the winter break.

Items like canned meat, vegetables, soup, cereal, and peanut butter can all be placed in the gift-wrapped donation boxes located in homeroom classes. Homemade, perishable and expired items, as well as glass containers, cannot be accepted. The 5th block class that donates the most, will win a pizza party.

According to East activities adviser and drive organizer Shawna Sousa, there are also other ways to help. Money can be contributed through the Foundation for Central School’s page located on the district website. Click here to donate. Cash donations help buy crucial food items, like chickens, fresh fruits and vegetables, that can’t be collected on campus.

Another option is donating time on Saturday, December 15 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.  The distribution day will be hosted by God’s Family Church at 7272 W. Shaw Ave. where volunteers will help pack and hand out food to families who applied for assistance after dialers and emails were sent out by Central High Unified. Anyone willing to offer time to help with distribution can contact Sousa at East campus.

For any family still interested in support, the deadline has passed to apply, but there is a possibility to still receive donations by contacting the front office at Central East.

Last year over 300 families received food through this drive. Freshman Shawn Suarez and Senior Tia Jones are Central leadership students who have volunteered in the past and both report it was a rewarding experience, not just for the families touched by the support, but for them as well.