Top films that will be a treat to watch in early 2019

Image Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Anthony Kramer Robertson, Staff Writer

2019 will surely be a year filled to the brim with excellent films consisting of strong storytelling and compelling characters, and the upcoming films in the first three months of next year will start us moviegoers off with undeniable levels of hype. Even though the early months of any year are typically begging to be the home for solid, high grossing films, 2019 seems to be an outlier to that mundane cycle. With that in mind, let’s get into the 5 most anticipated films of early 2019.

Glass (January 18)

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, Glass is set to create what fans are calling a Shyamalan-iverse as it will connect Unbreakable and Split and will maintain its thriller aspect. Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson), a.k.a. Elijah Price, will be orchestrating the events in the plot throughout the film. This is not to mention David Dunn (Bruce Willis) and Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy) from previous Shyamalan films returning for this film. The buzz created by the ending of Split, which hinted at another film, has created massive fan hype, and Glass is sure to deliver.

Dark Phoenix (February 14)

The next installment in the X-Men franchise, Dark Phoenix will find itself in uncharted territory as it follows Jean Grey as she acquires powers that corrupt her and convert her to Dark Phoenix, and pits the rest of the X-Men against her in a fight to save humanity. It will surely be interesting to see how this film is handled as it’s the first time the franchise has put a villain as the protagonist. A solid choice of direction was made with Simon Kinberg, who has worked on all of the X-Men films since X-Men: The Last Stand. The cast is stellar as well, with Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, and Sophie Turner reprising their previous roles in the franchise.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (February 22)

The film that will complete the critically acclaimed How to Train Your Dragon trilogy, The Hidden World will see our hero duo Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) and his Night Fury friend Toothless work to maintain their harmonious society of humans and dragons when Toothless leaves with a possible mate and Hiccup’s lead in the village is threatened. This film looks to maintain the same level of humor, drama, romance, and fantastic storytelling that the previous two achieved. Dean DeBlois will return to direct this film after leading the way in the first two, along with Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, and Kristen Wiig returning to voice their characters.

Chaos Walking (March 1)

This film is definitely the least-known about on this list. With no trailer as of yet, we haven’t been able to receive a first impression, which is another reason as to which this film has been rather unheard of. Protagonist Todd Hewitt (Tom Holland) lives on a planet known as ‘New World’ which is home to a dystopian society with no women where a virus known as the Noise breaks out and allows all creatures to hear others’ thoughts. Hewitt then discovers that there is a woman on the planet named Viola (Daisy Ridley) and together they must uncover the mysteries of the ‘New World’. The suspense that Chaos Walking is drawing with the absence of a trailer and the little amount of knowledge provided will surely carry throughout the film.

Captain Marvel (March 8)

Set in the 1990s, this film will play as an origin story and become the official introduction of Carol Danvers, a.k.a. Captain Marvel, into the MCU. Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) will find herself caught in the middle of an intergalactic war between two alien races and attempt to not only thwart the conflict but protect earth. While many will appreciate this film for the representation of a female character as a lead protagonist in a Marvel film, we know everyone is excited due to the new opportunities that adding this character creates for future MCU films after Phase 3 comes to a close with Avengers 4.