AP student tutoring available after school

Prabhjot+Kaur+and+tutor+Luis+Chavez+helping+each+other+in+AP+Calculus+review.+
Prabhjot Kaur and tutor Luis Chavez helping each other in AP Calculus review.

Photo By Hodda Alazani

Photo By Hodda Alazani

Hodda Alazani, Staff Writer

Central High students have joined together to form a new club that offers peer tutoring services for struggling or transitioning students enrolled in Advanced Placement classes. It has been dubbed ‘Counting on You’ and is primarily run by students. The club meets on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays for an hour after school in the library – when the library is closed the tutors meet at the career center. To get updates on which subjects are offered on which days and where they will meet, join the Remind by texting @k33g73 to 81010. The current tutors are Nathan Cervantes, Luis Chavez, Wei Ji Chen, Maura Cruz, Brice Gentry, Bianca Gonzalez, Randi Ruelas and Sarah Yribarren. The subjects offered, respectively, are AP language and composition, AP biology, AP statistics, AP world history, AP chemistry, AP United States history, AP psychology, and AP calculus.

It’s known that there has already been after-school tutoring offered here at Central by teachers, however, the C.O.Y. club is students tutoring students. Club advisor and AP biology teacher at East campus, Lance Kanawyer says, “Student tutors offer their own perspectives involving the subject matter. Students seeking tutoring can often relate to these perspectives which helps to accelerate the learning process.” The tutors have taken the courses they teach, gotten a good grade in as a result or passed the AP exam with preferably higher than a three.

The club started last year with Co-Presidents Wei Ji Chen and Sarah Yribarren, and it’s grown from a few students seeking help to fifty this year. “The reason why I want to start this club is to help the students who went from general education and jumped straight to AP to become more used to the rigor and fast-paced nature of the course,” Chen stated.

Yribarren claims that often students can’t attain the help they need from teachers in their AP classes because of how fast the material needs to be covered. However, with the Counting on You club, students can work one on one with their tutor and adjust the pace in whatever way is needed.

Even though it’s a club, students are not required to attend every session but the scheduled meetings are always held after school. Still, Bianca Gonzalez, AP United States history tutor, suggests that students are consistent with attendance since they won’t get immediate results after only one session. It’s better to go as much as possible and prepare in advance for a test or even the AP exams in May, rather than wait until the last minute. If there are scheduling conflicts that interfere with a student’s ability to attend sessions, the tutors are available to message and request meetings with at other times that will best suit both them and the students’ needs.

Despite the growing attendance, it’s not uncommon for struggling students to be too prideful or embarrassed to ask for help. Kanawyer offered a reminder to these students to focus on improvement in the effort to further their confidence in the subject matter.

If you are struggling in any of these subjects, don’t be afraid to join the Remind app and attend any meetings you feel will help you be successful. It’s better to step up and ask for help than to fall behind and as a result fail a class or exam.