Local coffee houses to replace your Starbuck’s trip

Photo By: Keith Survell

Photo By: Keith Survell

Sophia Esquivel, Staff Writer

As the weather cools down, people flock to popular coffee destinations such as Starbucks and Dutch Bros. for a hot drink and a warm, comfortable place to hang out with friends or study. However, with a Starbucks on every corner and Dutch Bros.’ ever-increasing popularity, many students are finding themselves looking for an alternative. There’s everything to gain by trying a locally owned business that’s a little different and hopefully less packed. Here are four distinctive coffee hang-outs perfect for studying or meeting with friends, as well as ordering stellar food and drinks.

1. The Revue

Located in the Tower District, The Revue is an exciting replacement for your everyday, run of the mill coffee house. Upon walking inside, you are greeted by a cool and contemporary atmosphere that is refreshing compared to the dim ambiance typically revered by cafe lovers. The Revue often hosts movie nights, open mic nights, and other fun activities for their patrons to enjoy. Their popular specialty beverages include the Mexican mocha, the Affogato, the Whalebird Kombucha, the Nitro Float, and the cold brew milkshake. Non-dairy substitutes are offered. The Revue is also home to The Backroom party venue.

1. Collect Coffee

Collect Coffee, with their creatively named beverages and their airy, modern environment that has just the right touches of vintage and rustic elements and is a must visit. Situated in the same shopping center as Maya Cinema, it’s the perfect place to go before or after seeing a movie. Popular beverages include the Lavender Latte, the Red Bull Grenadine, the Turkish coffee, and the espresso con panna. Collect Coffee also offers extensive non-dairy substitutes such as almond, coconut, and soy milk.

1.  Hi-Top Coffee

Though Hi-Top Coffee is located less than a mile from The Revue, it’s vastly different and equally worthy of your time. The cafe is cozy and welcoming with a vintage vibe favored by many coffee connoisseurs. Located in the heart of the Tower District, you’re never far from the excitement offered by other venues. Their popular beverages and food items include the Low Top, the Cold Brew-ish, the Flat churro, Sticky Lips, and the Sweet Greens.

1.  Two Cities Coffee Roasters

While the atmosphere of Two Cities pretty much echoes that of every other establishment in Old Town Clovis with its rustic, country-style decor, it’s main attraction is not only the coffee but the rolled ice cream. The rolled ice cream comes in numerous interesting flavors such as the Ringmaster, Horchata, Chocolate Brownie Crunch, and Apple Pie to name a few. The quaint little shop is seated among all the attractions of Old Town Clovis, so you can enjoy the other charming activities. Popular food items and drinks at Two Cities includes the cardamom vanilla latte, the nutella latte, the Penguin iced latte, and the chili mocha.