Career Week offers professional guidance

Photo by Alyssa Rockey

Medical and Police professionals speaking at Monday’s panel in the East PAC.

Alyssa Rockey, Staff Writer

October 1 -5, Central will be hosting its first annual Career Week. This event is categorized into two sections; a speaker panel and career fair. The speaker panel will be held from 10:45 – 12:15 in the PAC, which would be ideal if students are looking for a professional perspective or interested in learning about a specific work field. The career fair is open to all students and will be hosted during lunch in the quad at East.

Each day will be dedicated to a particular professional area including construction, public service, language, cultural, medical, and business. Representatives from companies, agencies, and organizations such as the SPCA, Fresno City Police Academy, and Valley Children’s Hospital will be attending as well as owners of local businesses such as Ampersand ice cream and Grizzly Fest.

Throughout the event, professionals who have achieved success in a variety of fields will share their professional pathways and experiences, providing students with insight extending beyond typical career literature or information gleaned from online research. East career center adviser Jill Brooks, one of the main coordinators states, “I think it will be a really valuable and unique experience.” West career center adviser Kathleen Williams adds, “We will be busing West students over for panels or the fair based on sign-ups. This a great chance for students to actually speak with someone who has worked in a field they are considering.”

To attend the guest speaker-panel event, teachers can sign their classes up online or individual students may ask permission from their 5th or 6th block teachers to attend, then pick up a ticket in the career center.