Resources for summer volunteers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Resources for summer volunteers

Local students volunteering for Valley Center  for the Blind at Inspiration Park celebrating their work at their annual spring luncheon

Local students volunteering for Valley Center for the Blind at Inspiration Park celebrating their work at their annual spring luncheon

Jonathan A. Hurtado

Jonathan A. Hurtado

Jonathan A. Hurtado

Jonathan A. Hurtado, Staff Writer

As school comes to an end and summer approaches, Central High School’s students are encouraged to go out into the community and find a place to volunteer. Volunteering holds a lot of benefits for an individual. These benefits include developing work skills, getting connected with the community, contributing to a cause, and being able to listing volunteer experience on job or college applications. Though volunteering can help in many areas, teens may initially struggle to find organizations that will accept high school students as some organizations require a minimum age of 18. To narrow down your search, here are some places that accept high school volunteers with open arms, and an online resource to help you find more.

1. Valley Children’s Hospital: Volunteer opportunities include a lot of interaction with the patients at the hospital, but can also include positions such as greeter and gift shop volunteers. Valley children’s hospital dedicates themselves to the health and well-being of young children in need of care and treatment. Volunteers can be as young as thirteen years old and all of the steps to becoming a volunteer can be found at this link.
  2. Valley Center for the Blind: This organization specializes in assisting people who are blind or who are visually impaired. They hold several events during the year and have community get togethers which are great opportunities for local high school students to volunteer. Some of these events take place in the summer, so follow this link to learn more and find out how to apply.
  3. Fresno County Public Library: The public library serves as an information and learning service for many people locally. Volunteers can share their talents and interests with the volunteer coordinator as well as specific times that they are available on a weekly, monthly, or one time basis. Scheduling is flexible as long as you’re dependable. If you are interested, you can visit their volunteer page to get started.
  4. Community Food Bank: This organization is very enthusiastic about new volunteers, especially motivated high schoolers. They are open to groups and individuals during the week and on Saturdays with different tasks related to the packaging and sorting of food products. This is a great way to get a lot of volunteer hours and the scheduling is flexible. To learn more about this opportunity, visit the food bank’s volunteer page for more information.

In addition to these, one of the best websites I have found to help find a variety of volunteer opportunities is Volunteer Match. The site allows prospective volunteers to search by location for local opportunities and also narrow down searches by using filters for age and causes. Don’t procrastinate on those volunteer hours. Check out sites above and Volunteer Match for an easy start!