Avengers Infinity War breaks records and fan’s hearts

Photo Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Photo Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Alex Gonzales, Staff Writer

Avengers Infinity War, Marvels 19th installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has been ten years in the making. Eighteen movies later and Infinity War has finally arrived, breaking box office records its opening weekend by bringing in an incredible 250 million domestically and 630 million worldwide. Within its second week, it became the first movie to ever gross 1 billion globally.

The film opens with Earth’s Mightiest Heroes teaming back up to battle the mad Titan, Thanos. After a huge story build up, Thanos has finally put his plan in motion to collect the six infinity stones and fulfill his vision of ¨justice¨ for the universe. Along with the Avengers, characters from The Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Doctor Strange join the fight.

Bringing together a huge cast of iconic heroes can’t be an easy task. In fact, considering this many diverse characters, ensuring each is fully realized without sacrificing story elements is nearly impossible, and films with far fewer characters have failed miserably at this. However, the Infinity War´s directors, the Russo Brothers, do an immaculate job at representing most characters in a distinctive, believable way. Character contrasts serve as satisfying comedic interaction at some points, and moving human drama at others.

The film is also a standout when it comes to stylistic and tonal shifts. When they introduce the Guardians of the Galaxy into the film, it feels like a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It’s amazing how the Russo brothers can simply play some music and have an entire audience cheering with nostalgia. The Russo Brothers clearly know their audience, and readily offer up rallying points for fans, no matter who they love most.

However, the Russo brothers took risks as well. They had to. With 18 other movies in tow, most of the plot directions that any director could use have already become tired tropes when it comes to the superhero genre. The Russo’s managed to move beyond genre cliches and leave audiences shocked with disbelief. Pacing contributed a great deal to this impact. The movie wastes no time getting straight to the point, after ten years of previous story build up. There is no plodding exposition and action sequences are thrilling, rapid-fire exhibitions of editing perfection.

One thing the Russo’s could’ve done better was allowing fans to witness the evolution of these heroes as a cohesive team. The movie itself was promoted as a massive character team-up, but we don’t get to see this. Instead, we see characters off conducting their own missions, albeit for a common cause. Another issue is that some main characters from the films’ universe only get brief screen-time after being introduced. We see a lot of focus on more minor characters to build up their development but old characters are left on the sidelines, making the emotional impact of some of the final scenes fall flatter than they should.

Despite those shortcomings, Avengers Infinity War lived up to its expectations and delivers an incredible movie experience for fans. At it’s first Fresno showing, the audience reacted throughout the entire film – commenting, clapping, laughing and even crying by the closing credits. Currently, the movie stands at an 8/10 on IMDB, 84% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 9/10 on IGN. The movie is still playing in theater, is a must-see for any Marvel fans and reminds us all of why going to see a film on the big screen is still worthwhile.