5 most anticipated upcoming prequels & sequels

Staff Writer

More stories from Betty Pauley

Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Photo Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

When it comes to watching movies, impressive visuals, skilled acting and inventive scripts are what brings viewers back for another chapter. These days, repeated installments of blockbuster film franchises seem to be what movies fans want most and 2018 releases are teeming with them. Maybe we’re lowering our standards, but with the emotion some of these franchise originals stirred up, you can’t blame us for wanting to experience it all over again. So, here are the prequels and sequels generating the most excitement this summer. Get ready to snag a good seat, hug your family sized popcorn and wait in breathless anticipation until those lights finally go down.

1. Deadpool 2 – Friday May 18th

Deadpool, everybody’s favorite Merc with a Mouth, which raked in over $130 million during it’s massive opening weekend back in 2016, is back. This time he’s got some new friends. Director David Leitch and lead actor, now co-writer, Ryan Reynolds has Deadpool teaming up with a band of soldiers to protect a young mutant from being kidnapped by a time-traveling commando named Cable. It seems as though a lot of people can’t wait to see Ryan Reynolds back on the big screen.

2. The Incredibles 2 – Friday June 15th

If you saw The Incredibles back in 2004, you know that this Oscar-winning, animated landmark ranks at the peak of Pixar popularity. Yes, writer and director Brad Bird clearly took his time with a sequel to this tale of a superhero family banned by law from doing their super-thing, so expectations are high. With Elastigirl (voiced by Holly Hunter) leaving Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) home with the kids, there’s a new sheriff in town who’s not going to allow her feminist mojo to be supressed.

3. Ant-Man and The Wasp – Friday July 6th

This sequel to 2015’s Ant-Man brings Paul Rudd back as the shrinkable superhero and gives him a partner in Evangeline Lilly’s Hope Van Dyne, aka the Wasp. She’s eager to get into her own super-suit invented by Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) since his wife and her mother (Michelle Pfeiffer) need saving from the Quantum Realm, an alternate dimension. Directed by Peyton Reed and co-written by Paul Rudd, this is another chance for Marvel’s FX team to astonish us with a world in miniature.

4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Friday June 22nd

Three years after this dino-epic grossed $1.6 billion worldwide, director J. A. Bayona, and writer Colin Trevorrow are offering up a sequel to the popular reboot. Actor Chris Pratt is back for again, working with J.A. Bayona on a new pre-historic dilemma four years after the destruction of the Jurassic World theme park. Their characters, Owen Grady and Claire Dearing return to the island of Isla Nublar to save the remaining dinosaurs from a volcano that’s about to erupt. They soon encounter terrifying new breeds of gigantic dinos while uncovering a conspiracy that threatens the entire planet.

5. Solo: A Star Wars Story – Friday May 25th

Can anyone but Harrison Ford play Han Solo? We’ll soon find out. Actor Alden Ehrenreich steps into the role of the swaggering galactic smuggler in this stand-alone prequel that director Ron Howard intends to dedicate to everyone’s favorite space pirate. The movie will make its way into the Lucas-film canon, but what’s the real reason fans are so excited? The script comes from the Empire Strikes Back’s screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian for the first time. With a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes, this film takes the top spot for summer films we can’t wait to watch.