Local businesses need our support

Weekend+Dreams+Burger+and+Grill+Restaurant+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Local businesses need our support

Weekend Dreams Burger and Grill Restaurant

Photo By Emily Keomany

Photo By Emily Keomany

Photo By Emily Keomany

Dutch Bros, Starbucks, Taco Bell, and In-N-Out are just some of the places high school students can’t get enough of. Sure we love these big chain companies, but what about our small local business, the ones in the Central community that concern for our families, schools, and neighborhoods on a daily basis. When spending money at chain restaurants or stores, the majority of it leaves the community versus when you spend money at a local business, where the majority of it remains here, in our local economy. 

Local businesses are substantial parts of our community for numerous reasons. With spending money at local businesses, the majority of it will stay within the community instead of being sent back to a national office to be redistributed to other city locations. From that, it could potentially be used to make purchases to other local businesses, farmers, and service providers which they are more likely to utilize. Local enterprises create more jobs that could possibly provide more wages and benefits, but also more stability. National business will move wherever profits the highest, often closing successful locations because another city offers better revenue. Local business owners are committed to their locale because they live there. They can’t simply pick up and move to where the greatest profit may take them.

Local businesses also offer choices and diversity. If you don’t want the same chain businesses on every corner of every street, support the local businesses who provide something more distinctive. If you don’t, they may be gone tomorrow. Local businesses are typically unique, which can also spark up neighborhood identity as well as tourism dollars, benefiting the city in a whole. “It makes you feel like you’re in somewhere special versus being in a place that is anywhere,” says Johnny Mariscal, who has been raised on the basis of supporting locally and also is employed in one.

When business owners are rooted in the locations they serve they are also likely to be more involved in their neighborhoods and interested in giving back to the community like local burger shop Weekend Dreams. “We try to donate to Central’s sports as much as possible and we’ve also done fundraising for the PTA,” stated owner Jay Shelton.

Starting a small business in a local community imposes a great risk for that person and also their family. Due to large chains, many businesses don’t make it past three years. A lot of time, money, and personal labor is invested in making their dreams of opening up a business happen. An abundant amount of effort is put into creating the business, but the real struggle is keeping it alive as Legendary Pho worker Sue Vang states, “At first we weren’t really known and business was slow, but it’s a good location to have this restaurant since there isn’t any like it around and we’ve gotten recognized for it.”

Due to the fact that local businesses can’t afford to close and actually know their neighborhoods, they are often more eager to make changes or provide service that truly makes their patrons happy. Most of the time owners are eager to go above and beyond to satisfy their customers and tend to be more flexible to assist a customer. Business owners are inclined to place the desires of customers at main priority. “We ensure fresh produce from the growers directly that we also use at our restaurant and we expect the highest quality for our costumers,” says  Lucia Hue, who’s been working at Asian One Grocery for four years. 

Every time we decide to buy a burger or purchase a new outfit, we have to remember, we are shaping the community we live in. By patronizing local businesses, we are ensuring we not only have more distinctive choices as consumers, we are helping out Fresno families and stabilizing the very core of our local economy. No one is suggesting you can’t buy Dutch Bros anymore. Just put a little more thought into trying that little mom and pop owned business in your neighborhood. Chances are, if you care about them, they’ll return the love in greater measure than the average big business chain.

Locations for the local businesses interviewed for this article are listed below: