Central language classes compete in sing off

Photo+By+Emily+Keomany+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo By Emily Keomany

Photo By Emily Keomany

Photo By Emily Keomany

Photo By Emily Keomany

Natalie Gallegos, Staff Writer

French Teacher Scott Donaghe’s classes took 1st place in all blocks except 7th  and 8th block at this year’s Central World Language Sing Off’s. First year Punjabi teacher Jasbinder Saini’s  7th block and Hmong teacher Nalee See’s 8th block provided an upset.

Punjabi and Hmong classes were added this year, additional levels of French and Spanish have been introduced over the years, and as the program has expanded, so has the sing off. Language classes now compete in the PAC and judges began scoring the event in 2013. The friendly competition has grown as well, with performances becoming more elaborate each year. Teachers and classes are clearly out to dominate the competition, which keeps raising the bar in terms of language acquisition and presentation.

Due to all reports, Scott Donaghe’s French class is a tough competitor. “Donaghe does go all out because he does want to win. That’s when it gets really competitive,” states junior Chloe Roquta. After participating in the sing-off for the first year, junior Isaiah Perales agrees that the long-standing French champions are hard to beat, “It’s really hard to compare to Donaghe, but we got 2nd place.”

Aside from the fun of seeing their peers perform, the competition helps students learn more about language, culture, collaboration and how to confidently present themselves in public. Spanish teacher Alfonso Jimenez comments, “It teaches students language while teaching them stage presence.”

Donaghe adds, ”The best part about the sing off is that it creates a very strong class bond while providing a window into the target culture.”

Junior french student Seth Ladd agrees that the sing off helps students learn more. He states, “It’s one thing to just see a word on a board, but it’s another thing to hear it in music.”

Most essentially, students are moved by music and this motivates them to learn more about language.  Ladd adds, “I think it’s just another way to teach students about different cultures, and music is one of those branches that students connect to most.”

30 Comments

30 Responses to “Central language classes compete in sing off”

1. Scott Donaghe on April 17th, 2018 10:44 pm

Correction for the article:
    Hmong won first place and Punjabi won first place. The other blocks were won by the French classes.
    Great article other than that change.

2. Sabreen Atwal on April 25th, 2018 10:55 am

Thank you Mr. Donaghe. We have made the corrections and updated the article.

3. Scott Donaghe on May 4th, 2018 8:58 pm

Awesome! Merci beaucoup!

4. Amelia K on December 11th, 2018 1:07 pm

Being able to know how fun it was at the sing off sounds interesting!!!

5. treyvon givens on December 11th, 2018 1:08 pm

I like sing so the compaction is going to be fun

6. Ofelia Calderon on December 11th, 2018 1:09 pm

All classes did an excellent job and hope they improve each year. The sing off is a really fun and helps students in there performance.

7. Guneet Aujla on December 11th, 2018 1:09 pm

I think it is amazing how this year we get to be apart of the sing off. Hopefully the French classes get first place again.

8. Semaj London on December 11th, 2018 1:10 pm

Well I am first of all nervous because we have to live up to the expectations of French classes before us but it inspired me to work harder than ever so we may win but most importantly have fun

9. Alan Gutierrez on December 11th, 2018 1:10 pm

The sing off is a great thing as everybody says it is. The teachers say it is fun and gets the class to have a great bond together which is great. But not only that the sing off helps with other things. It gets you to see other languages and cultures. Also helps with being out in a crowd which is tough for some people. So I’m glad we are having this sing off this year. Hope we take that first place!!!

10. Kari Hale on December 11th, 2018 1:11 pm

I am a freshman French 1 student and I’ve heard so many good things about the previous sing off’s that I’m so psyched to participate this year. My entire class can’t wait either, we hope to come in at least 2nd or 3rd place seeing as we have no experience yet and that this is our first year.

11. Elona Boonmy on December 11th, 2018 1:11 pm

Reading this article made me even more excited for this years sing off!! I may be a freshman but when the time comes I will give my all to win against the other language classes. So you all better watch out. The freshmen are coming for you;)

12. Daniella Munoz on December 11th, 2018 1:11 pm

Its so cool how through this sing off/competition and music that students get to connect with it. Thanks to this I would say a lot of people would like to participate in native languages especially French. 🙂

13. Luke Valdivia on December 11th, 2018 1:11 pm

This article was amazing all the languages did a good job.I am greatful to be in such a great class.Hopefully we take the win this year too 🙂 Good luck to all the languages.Very excited

14. Arianna Perez on December 11th, 2018 1:12 pm

Being able to participate in the sing off for two years now, I can easily say that everything in this article is true. I’ve had a great time performing with Spanish and now i have the opportunity to perform with French 1 and i’m extremely excited.

15. Emily Zermeno on December 11th, 2018 1:12 pm

This year being my first time in a sing off like this is different. The class does seem to be closer together after working so hard.

16. Carlos Aguilera on December 11th, 2018 1:12 pm

This is a great article it gives good information to students and is written in a way that would motivate me and other readers to take language classes.

17. Colton Fields on December 11th, 2018 1:13 pm

Though I haven´t participated in the Sing Off, I eagerly look forward to not only being in but to listen to the other classes as well. I don´t sing much, mainly to myself if ever, and I think a lot of students can relate to that. It´s good to see students push the boundaries and sing with all they can, even better that it´s in a language most aren´t familiar with.

18. Adelyn H. on December 11th, 2018 1:13 pm

Watching the sing off last year with friends was amazing! I hadn’t had a language elective yet, and was looking forward to having one. This article makes the sing off sound really fun, and it pushes contestants to work harder. I can’t wait to see the sing off of 2019!

19. Azariyah Hollins on December 11th, 2018 1:13 pm

As Seth Ladd stated, “It’s one thing to just see a word on a board, but it’s another thing to hear it in music.” As everyone knows, we love music and to be able to listen and sing in a different language is helpful when trying to learn and also helps to understand another’s culture.

20. Ofelia Calderon on December 11th, 2018 1:14 pm

All classes did a wonderful job and hope they improve in the next sing off.

21. Allie Anderson on December 11th, 2018 1:14 pm

Its really amazing because it teaches students a different language in a fun and competitive way and I think that’s awesome! Students also learn different cultures while having fun on stage and learning stage presence. The students also get familiar with the songs after singing it so many times that they feel comfortable on stage with other people and a crowd that they get to express themselves in a different way.
    -Allie Anderson

22. Daniella Munoz on December 11th, 2018 1:14 pm

Its so cool that thanks to this sing off/ competition many students get to have an opportunity at connecting with music

23. Yesenia Garcia on December 11th, 2018 1:15 pm

All classes did an excellent job. The sing off seems really fun! I’m really excited to soon be apart of it and see the other classes perform.

24. Damian Carrillo on December 11th, 2018 1:15 pm

I like the way that they brought the World language sing of to central which is pretty cool because you get to compete against other languages and so forth. Its a good and fun way to learn and have fun with your classmates. I believe that this a good way to be competitive and learn your language at the same side!

25. Jennifer Hernandez on December 11th, 2018 1:16 pm

I think its cool to participate in the sing off, hopefully we win 1st place this year.

26. Roel on December 11th, 2018 7:00 pm

Mr. Donaghe we are gonna take this dub again!!!

27. Teigan Davis on December 11th, 2018 9:31 pm

I think that the sing off is an amazing way to learn as languages culture. It helps us come together as a class to create something that makes the audience happy and us happy and proud of we what we have done.

28. Judy Alatorre on December 12th, 2018 1:04 am

The world language sing off gets extremely competitive and students from other classes always try to find intel about other classes performances. Preparations for the sing off begin as early as September so classes can have the upper hand in coordination and limited errors. It’s all fun but it’s always hard to tell who is going to win depending on the songs and what story the class decides to tell. It definitely does bring the class together and helps them bond if there is anyone you will remember when high school is over it’s going to be the kids you learned another language with. You’ll even catch yourself singing the songs from time to time and they might even jump in.

29. Teigan Davis on December 12th, 2018 12:52 pm

I think the sing off is a great opportunity for students to get closer with one another and have a fun time while learning a language.

30. Ofelia Calderon on December 12th, 2018 1:15 pm

All classes did a wonderful job. Hope each year they improve. I wish you all the best of luck.

• Central language classes compete in sing off

Feature

One student’s question sparked Women’s History Month

Feature

Marjory Stoneman Douglas students nearly a year later

Feature

Claire Wineland’s legacy

Feature

Hydroflask trendy, but consider alternatives

Feature

Resources for summer volunteers

Feature

More than tutus & toe shoes….

Feature

Cosmetic & care products could be hurting your health

Feature

Three Netflix series that capture teen lives

Feature

Local businesses need our support

Feature

From pastry to pizza…some of Fresno’s best