Town hall: students to discuss suicide prevention

Cristina Zaragoza, Staff Writer

A town hall will be held in Clovis to give students, parents and other community members a chance to speak on the topic of preventing teen suicide this Tuesday, March 13, 2018, from 5:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to participate in the discussion, which will be given live coverage by Fox 26 news. The Fresno County Suicide Prevention Collaborative has invited high school students from all over Fresno County to learn about suicide prevention, as well as provide their insight regarding solutions.

The town hall is being held at the Clovis Veteran’s Memorial District located at 808 Fourth Street. Anyone wishing to participate must register before the event, but seats are still open. To register visit the Fresno Cares website: fresnocares.org If students cannot attend, they can also tune in on the Fox 26 TV channel, or live – stream the town hall on the channel’s app, website or Facebook page.

Speakers at the event will include, “Someone from the Department of Behavioral Health, a parent who has experienced losing a child to suicide, and a student who may have struggled with thoughts of suicide. Students will learn how to find the right words, listen and start a conversation with someone who may have suicidal thoughts. They will also learn to spot the warning signs when someone is suicidal, and how to direct someone to resources,” said Central Unified’s head of communications Sonja Dosti.

This event gained community support in late 2016, after the county lost many students to suicide. Dosti added, “Organizations worked together on creating more centralized resources and a stronger message about suicide prevention to decrease the number of students who were dying by suicide.”