In-house scholarships for Central students

Photo By Naileah Meza

Career center advisor, Kathleen Williams helping seniors fill out in house scholarships at West campus career center.

Naileah Meza, Staff Writer

Most of the middle schools and elementary schools within the Central Unified School District will be offering in-house scholarships to high school students within the district beginning February 1st and closing March 12th. Students can pick up and turn in applications in the career center at East or West.

Students must meet the requirements on the applications, but have a better shot at receiving aid because assistance is only offered to students who have attended school in Central Unified since elementary or middle school. Some additional conditions may include a GPA requirement, volunteer or community service, or essays, depending on which scholarship students apply for.

Central is offering the Central Union 1966 scholarship as well. The requirement for this scholarship is that the student’s parent or grandparent graduated from Central. Students whose parents are Central Unified employees may also qualify for this scholarship.

Scholarship committees at each site are individually evaluating their own site applications. Students must be sure to complete all information, be neat, professional, and type responses to receive consideration, though Central career center directors say that requirements stipulate that applicants may also neatly fill it out the application in blue or black ink as a secondary alternative. Scholarships offered range from $250-$250.

For information on other scholarships, seniors may attend the FCCCD advising event held on on February 27th and 28th for East and on March 1st for West. Information provided at this event is useful for anyone applying to FCC, Reedley, Madera, and Clovis. Students will be given the courses to take for their freshmen year in college as well. Check in at the East or West career center for more information regarding the FCCCD event. For more information on these scholarships and other ongoing financial aid opportunities, go to the school website, click the counseling tab and select career center, or click the link provided below:

Career Center Scholarship Information