In-house scholarships for Central students

Career center advisor, Kathleen Williams helping seniors fill out in house scholarships at West  campus career center.

Career center advisor, Kathleen Williams helping seniors fill out in house scholarships at West campus career center.

Photo By Naileah Meza

Photo By Naileah Meza

Naileah Meza, Staff Writer

Most of the middle schools and elementary schools within the Central Unified School District will be offering in-house scholarships to high school students within the district beginning February 1st and closing March 12th. Students can pick up and turn in applications in the career center at East or West.

Students must meet the requirements on the applications, but have a better shot at receiving aid because assistance is only offered to students who have attended school in Central Unified since elementary or middle school. Some additional conditions may include a GPA requirement, volunteer or community service, or essays, depending on which scholarship students apply for.

Central is offering the Central Union 1966 scholarship as well. The requirement for this scholarship is that the student’s parent or grandparent graduated from Central. Students whose parents are Central Unified employees may also qualify for this scholarship.

Scholarship committees at each site are individually evaluating their own site applications. Students must be sure to complete all information, be neat, professional, and type responses to receive consideration, though Central career center directors say that requirements stipulate that applicants may also neatly fill it out the application in blue or black ink as a secondary alternative. Scholarships offered range from $250-$250.

For information on other scholarships, seniors may attend the FCCCD advising event held on on February 27th and 28th for East and on March 1st for West. Information provided at this event is useful for anyone applying to FCC, Reedley, Madera, and Clovis. Students will be given the courses to take for their freshmen year in college as well. Check in at the East or West career center for more information regarding the FCCCD event. For more information on these scholarships and other ongoing financial aid opportunities, go to the school website, click the counseling tab and select career center, or click the link provided below:

Career Center Scholarship Information

2 Comments

2 Responses to “In-house scholarships for Central students”

1. Poonam Sidhu on February 6th, 2018 11:39 am

Love the story, I never knew about this program before and thanks to the story I now know all about it. Good job ! 🙂

2. Kathleen Williams on February 15th, 2018 2:06 pm

Advising Session at East & West is sponsored by SCCCD (State Center Community College District)
    Seniors meet w/ SCCCD Counselors and receive a list of classes they are to register for in April.
    Scholarship can be found at fresnocitycollege.edu click admissions and aid, click scholarships.
    ALL seniors should apply for FAFSA at FAFSA.gov the deadline is March 2, 2018. Assistance is available in the Career Center

• In-house scholarships for Central students

News

Upcoming Tests being offered to Central Students

News

Athletes as Readers and Leaders celebrates 10th anniversary

News

Sadie Hawkins Dance 2018

News

AP student tutoring available after school

News

Career Week offers professional guidance

News

Six Flags Fright Fest trip opens up to all students

News

Central guitar ensemble ties for 1st at Valley guitar summit

News

Diverse talents featured in spring show

News

ROP construction takes on big project of building ‘tiny house’

News

All you need to know about Graduation