Girl’s varsity basketball forges forward

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore guard, Jada Heights driving to the basket for a layup at Central East

Photo By Jasmeen Dhother

Photo By Jasmeen Dhother

Photo By Jasmeen Dhother

Sean Haymon, Staff writer

As the season continues the lady Grizzlies have steadily improved with a game against Clovis North which yielded a  72-42 take-away, to a tight competition that went into OT against Buchanan where the girls earned a 58-46 win. The turn around apparently doesn’t come as a surprise to head girls basketball coach  Geoffrey Clayton, who says he knew these athletes would step up and stand out all along. “Adversity reveals character,” comments Coach Geoffrey Clayton .

This year the girl’s varsity basketball non- conference  record stands at 7-9.  Starting off the season at the Nike Central Valley Showdown tournament, the team won 2 games  out of four against California School of the Deaf 91-10 and defeated Foothill with a score of 81-31.  The week after,  they had their biggest wins of non-conference in the Queens of the Court tournament against Ridgeview 80-16, followed by a showdown against Bullard resulting in a 74-32 win, and a victory at Chavez with 80-12 score led by junior guard and forward Jayla Green and senior guard, Jessica Spencer.  “I’m riding with my team no matter what , this is nothing but adversity trying to shut us down. Trust the grind,” said Green. ” Spencer added, “Throughout night and day, we work hard. We feel that we are capable of turning things around for our program.” Additional mention is deserved due to the fact that the Grizzlies won five games consecutively at the Queens of the Court tournament.

Their first league game was a big one vs. Clovis West, the number 1 team in the nation last year,  which ended as a loss 62-22. Despite this set-back and the fact that Central has a very young team filled with seven underclassmen and three upperclassmen this year, these are talented athletes capable of  going very far this year despite their inexperience and their size.  Though the girl’s have had a pretty difficult schedule in their preseason, it’s worth watching how their regular season goes.