Central student’s design chosen for local mural

Kayla Heflin with her award winning mural design.

Photo By Christina Zaragosa

Photo By Christina Zaragosa

Cristina Zaragoza, Staff Writer

Central High student Kayla Heflin’s design has been chosen for a painted mural that will eventually become a permanent art installation on the Fresno fairgrounds property. Central art teacher Marcy Ruona helped Heflin create the design and submit her project. The winning design will be sized by professional local artist Will Portis, and painted by Rotary Interact  teen and adult members.

During November, Fresno County Schools promoted the district-wide contest, sponsored by the Fresno Cultural Arts Rotary, for students, K-12, which asked for student-artists to enter their design concepts for a chance to be become a new public mural, with a deadline for December 1st.. The mural contest offered two options. Designs could be a collage of many different pieces of artwork or  a single concept. Either had to be based on the theme: “Protect Our Land, Air, and Water Because We Feed the World.”

Advanced art teacher Marcy Ruona stated, “Kayla Heflin has consistently created excellent work in the Advanced Art class this school year. The fairground mural project contest objective was given to all advanced art students. They all participated, voted for the ten best and these selections were submitted to the contest.  I was pleased to see that Kayla’s was chosen as first place and Mukda Soumphonphakdy’s work was selected as the second place winner by the Cultural Arts Rotary.  Both were excellent submissions, however, Kayla’s will become the mural and will be painted and hung at the fairgrounds where we will all be able to enjoy it for years to come.  I’m very proud of Kayla for having her work selected.”

Kayla says that it’s both surprising and inspiring to have her work selected for a public project. She explains, “It’s very weird to know that I created something that will appear in Fresno forever. I’m very proud of myself, and it makes me feel like I’m actually more talented than I thought. I’m still in shock that I was chosen for this, but I’m very excited about it.” She also expressed her intention behind the future mural’s symbolism, “I wanted people to see the eyes when they look at my piece. The eyes represent the beauty in the world, while the waterfall and the mountainside represent it’s motion and strength. My art is representing the perfect balance of land, air, wind, and water.  I also see my artwork as a larger version of myself.”

Kayla admitted that she was more immersed in creating the design than winning any contest. However, her passion for art and her pride in her state emerged as she created the piece. “The very last thing I drew were California poppies, and I’m so happy that the judges recognized them because I wanted it to represent where I come from,” said Kayla.

The final mural will be 8 feet high and 44 feet long and mounted above the Agricultural building at the Fresno fairgrounds for public viewing.