Varsity girls’ soccer team ranks second in Valley

Senior%2C+and+defensive+enter-mid%2C+Brianna+Figueroa+dribbling+away+from+Sunnyside+defender+to+find+the+pass+at+Koligian+Stadium.+

Photo By Sabreen Atwal

Senior, and defensive enter-mid, Brianna Figueroa dribbling away from Sunnyside defender to find the pass at Koligian Stadium.

Sabreen Atwal, Staff Editor

Led by senior Brianna Figueroa and sophomore Maicee Espinoza, the girl’s varsity soccer team is currently ranked second in the Central Section Division 1 with an overall record of 12 wins and 5 losses.

After competing against some of the top schools in the valley, the varsity girl’s soccer team ended a successful pre-season with 9 wins and 3 losses. Some of the team’s greatest accomplishments during the pre-season include a 5-1 win against Merced High School, continuing a five-year winning streak at the Peggy Renberg Tournament held at Hoover High School, and placing second at the Garces Holiday Festival tournament, one of the biggest high school soccer tournaments in California. “We are young and inexperienced, but with each game we’re gaining more experience, and hopefully through all the trials we will grow and carry this on to playoffs,” stated head soccer coach Brandon Kwock.

The Grizzlies had a rough start in league play after a successful pre-season, by losing to Clovis West 2-1 and Clovis North 4-2.  The week after, they broke their losing streak, and won against Buchanan 1-0. The goal was assisted by senior captain Brianna Figueroa and made by freshman Tiger Rendon, her first goal of the season.  After the Buchanan game, Briana Figueroa stated, “We worked well as a team. We corrected all of our mistakes from the previous game and will hopefully carry that trend on to the rest of the season,”  which they did by jumping from last place in league standings to third.

The following week they played Clovis adding another win to the list, with a 1-0 score.  After some successful games, they stumbled again after losing to Clovis East 2-0 in the same week, but they went on to tie the next game versus Clovis West, 2-2 in double overtime.  Both goals were made by senior captain Brianna Figueroa, with a penalty kick in the first half and a free kick in overtime.