Positive Vibes program seeks support from students, staff, parents

Nominate students or staff to receive words or gifts of encouragement

Central Peer Connectors Devin Harris, Aleeza Ruiz, and Mike Chavez holding up the Peer Connectors hand sign for I Love You.

Photo By Taylor Haas

Photo By Taylor Haas

Taylor Haas, Staff Editor

The Central Peer Connectors student counseling group is planning to launch an ongoing program called Positive Vibes as an extension of the Peer Connectors program mission to encourage peer counselors, as well as the Central community to constantly remain on the lookout for individuals who may be going through some hardship or who are simply in need of a little extra support. These “positive vibes” may take the form of a message offering words of encouragement,  or even a small gift to let the nominated person know someone is thinking of them.

You can get involved in spreading “positive vibes” by keeping an eye out for a friend, or even a stranger you think may be going through a hard time or who is simply in need of some positive feedback. To participate, students, staff, or parents may write down the names of the people they see in need and deliver them to the Peer Connectors teacher Stefanie Hard  in room 805. Contributors may also email Ms. Hard or fill out the online request form linked below. Hard then records the names and the Peer Connectors decide on an appropriate gesture that may possibly cheer up the identified student or staff member. That message or gift is then delivered to the student by a Peer Connector student-counselor. Ms. Hard comments, “I know everyone is extremely busy, but the little bit of time it takes to nominate a person could make a big impact on his or her day. I promise it won’t be time wasted.”

The Peer Connectors’ initial goal was to spread the Positive Vibes effort by garnering requests for Positive Vibes deliveries from at least 100 people. Within a few weeks, they had already made that participant goal and now are looking for more.

The peer counseling group is currently waiting on an order of supplies which will allow them to fill current and ongoing requests for support. After they receive this delivery, they will begin distributing messages and gifts to uplift students and staff alike.

You can participate and contact Ms. Hard by filling out a recommendation form for a deserving student or staffer at the following link: Positive Vibes recommendation form  

If you are a parent, student, staffer or local business owner who doesn’t have a specific person in mind for this kind of support, but would like to make a financial contribution to benefit this emerging program, please feel free to contact East Campus Peer Connectors adviser Stefanie Hard at [email protected]