Brad Fontes named Central baseball’s head coach

Photo By John-Gavin Mancha

Photo By John-Gavin Mancha

John- Gavin Mancha, Staff Editor

Brad Fontes has returned as Central Varsity Baseball’s head coach on August 21 2017. Coach Fontes has currently a total of 25 years of experience and plans to bring a structured, old-school coaching philosophy to Central. He explains that this translates as, everyone has a shot if they take advantage of it, excluding politics, and favoritism. He just wants his athletes to play baseball and work hard.

Roughly around second grade was when he felt his passion towards sports because of his father. Fontes attended Mclane High School, he played both football and baseball throughout his high school years. With a scholarship to attend The University of California Berkley he signed his letter of intent, but was later drafted by the Texas Rangers where he played for four years in the Rangers farm system. Before moving directly into the coaching profession. The inspiration for coaching came from Merf Carter, His high school baseball coach, and Jeff Sirimarco, his high school football coach. He started his career as a head coach for Hoover and Reedley High School at the varsity level.

Fontes has served as a baseball coach for Central in the past, but left to pursue college coaching. When asked why he had originally left he said, “It was a tough decision for the Fresno State baseball staff because everything was dialed in and rolling, but my daughter had started at Fresno State so it was an easy fit.” As a coach at Fresno State and Buchanan he mainly worked with hitters and catchers, he says it was “ unbelievable, and to have the ability to coach that level of athletics was whole other experience.”

Fontes is already bringing his higher level of experience to Central high. There is a huge improvement in the coaching staff this year with a total of five assistant coaches this season, unlike the last one with only three. Coach Mills and Miranda will work with the pitchers, with a combined eight years of coaching experience at Central. Mitch Mulligen And Robbie De La Cruz will work with the infielders, Mulligen is a fifth year varsity assistant coach and Robbie is a first year assistant. As for outfield, first year assistant coach Brian Turner will be covering all training.

In terms of season goals, coach Fontes says he wants to, “get the team to play together and play the type of baseball the staff would want.”  Past seasons have not started or ended pretty as they have recently had a losing record, and haven’t even been to the playoffs in the past two years. In previous years, Fontes lead multiple teams to numerous playoff appearances.

According to players, Coach Fontes has already approached each player’s growth with personalized training strategies. Junior shortstop Phillip Ramos states, “ Its the way I have always been taught” but Henry Gerhart adds, “A lot of this stuff I’ve never been taught before.” This shows that there is both new and old ways in his coaching which is a good advantage as every position can learn something new but still strengthen fundamentals at the same time. Getting stronger seems an obvious concern for any team, but with the new workout system that Fontes has created, consisting of three sets of twelve workouts, the team is on their way to truly achieve it. This works the whole body as you only get three seconds rest in between rotations. No matter what position athletes play, Fontes says, “We have to get stronger.” To achieve the time needed for this task he has implemented 6:00 a.m. workouts before school. This is a change from last year, as players would only workout during the required athletic conditioning P.E. block. Senior Catcher Henry Gerhart says, We’re getting yoked and working hard. We just keep our heads up and look for a positive outcome.”

During the fall and off-season, Fontes would like to help all players in all age groups. He’d like to incorporate combined practices and workouts to create a bond throughout the whole program.There will continue to be morning workouts, so when the spring comes, players are prepared for the new practice plans and healthy for the season.

Finally, Fontes would like to improve the Diamond Club, by increasing parent involvement. He says, “They potentially play a huge role in building the Central baseball program from their efforts to raise money help for new jerseys to inspiring players to work harder on the field.”  There are already multiple fundraisers planned to help support the baseball program to provide jerseys and the intoduction of Astroturf to the baseball field.