New Clubs Here at Central

The Grizzlies United club playing soccer at Clovis East on October 19th.

Photo by AdreAna Ortega

Photo by AdreAna Ortega

AdreAna Ortega, Staff Editor

Here at Central East High School we have many clubs that have been here for years however, a number of new clubs have originated this year that are looking for new members and ideas. Joining a club comes with many benefits including, getting involved, making new friends, and learning new skills and to just have fun during your high school years.

Thespian Club

Thespian is a club that’s main purpose is to support theater within Central Unified. If you are interested in the theater department onstage or backstage this club will be perfect for you. This club is the backbone for Centrals theater. The Thespian club fundraises and makes connection with Jr. High theater to prepare them for high school theater courses and to become the face of Central’s theater.

The requirement for this club is that you must maintain a 2.0 GPA the entire enrollment in the club. If you have any questions you can attend a meeting at 3 p.m. on Tuesdays at East campus in room 304, or contact Chris Berzac who is the Thespian club adviser.

West Black Student Union

The goal of this club is to unite students of all races, share African American culture, and make a positive impact here on campus. This club also seeks to expose students to new opportunities. West BSU plans to go on college tours to pursue higher learning promoting and educating students about racial equality. The shortened name for this club is BSU and it has been active at East campus but now has a new addition to West which was started this year.

There are no requirements to join this club and everyone is welcome. BSU wants diversity in this club so they urge you to come out and join. They meet at West campus in room 55 and students will need to pay attention the daily bulletin to determine ongoing meeting dates and times contact the club adviser Robyn Cardwell.

Community Projects

The purpose of this environmentally minded club is to better our community with the 3 R’s reducing, reusing and recycling. If you want to reduce waste or you have a love for crafts then you should check out this club. Community Projects will be making items to sell as a fundraiser through a shop on campus called “New 2 U.” A primary goal for this year is to have both campuses participating in their paper recycling program. Also they plan to make money through product sales to contribute to our student community through scholarships.

Meetings are in room 1406 on Fridays during lunch. The club adviser is Jennifer Lauri.

Philosophy Club

Members of the philosophy club desire to learn more about philosophy and discuss questions that require a more complex answer than yes or no. If you are interested in delving into the deeper meaning to various topics then this might your club. Philosophy club founders encourage collaboration and critical thinking to gain greater understanding of our world. This club is planning some field trips centered on philosophical concerns and there is also an honors class available to juniors and seniors.

There are no requirements to join this club, but it is recommended that potential members are curious and open-minded. They meet in room 903 on Fridays, and the club adviser is Carrie Teresi.

Cultural Outreach Club

The Cultural Outreach Clubs overall intention is to educate elementary school students about the different cultures in our society. Students who are interested in exposing young minds to multiple cultures would benefit most from this club. The main importance of this club is to teach kids about the various cultures in our diverse community and instill appreciation for that diversity. They intend to visit as many elementary schools as possible which they will kick-off with their upcoming trip to Saroyan where they will deliver a presentation on Mexican culture.

There are no qualifications to join and if you are interested you can contact club adviser Carrie Teresi in room 903 for further information and meeting dates.

Grizzlies United

The objective of this club is to facilitate responsible and respectful relationships between exceptional and special needs students. The members want to encourage a school community of acceptance and tolerance and increase awareness through the Special Olympics and Unified Sports Programs. Students involved in this club are special education students along with general education students. These students will have the opportunity to participate in conjoined sports teams and play against other schools in other school districts.

All members will be required to maintain good academic standing and demonstrate CLAWS. Students can go to room 1210 at lunch or break to receive further information from the club adviser Isabel Ortega.

Dungeons and Dragons Club

This club offers a place for students to play card and role playing games. If you like collecting and trading cards for Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards or playing Dungeons and Dragons then this club will be perfect for you. Founders stress that they are trying to create a space where you are free to be yourself and have fun with friends. By the end of the year this club hopes to have fully implemented a ranking system for the game players and to have hosted a few tournaments for the games.

The dungeons and Dragons Club meets in room 1101 at lunch on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Anyone who enjoys card trading and role playing can join. This club adviser is Gregory Pullinger.