Why Do Teens Text and Drive?

Caitlin Figura, Staff Writer

I have decided to write an article about why people text and drive because I think it’s a very dangerous issue that a lot of us teens are addicted to doing. Becoming a driver on the road can be scary and having the opportunity to pick up your phone can lead to something horrible. I thought this would be an important topic because I am also convinced that picking up my phone while driving will not lead to anything too unbearable. A lot of us decide to take this action avoiding the known fact that it is one of the most dangerous things to do while driving. I think that a lot of us teens just wonder, why are we prone to do this when we know it is not right?

Sources say, teens decide to text and drive because of how important social life has become to all of us. We have come to a point where we put a text message as a higher priority than our own safety. Whether it is peer pressure or seeing other people taking the same risk, we don’t realize how dangerous it could be for both ourselves and others around us.

Another source also explains that technology has taking a toll on everyone’s lives. Technology has had a positive impact but also a negative one when it comes to picking up our phones. We have made this new technology such a big priority that we choose to text others, even while driving. All of us feel the urge to text while driving because we don’t know what we would do without our cells. When that message pops up on our phones we are prone to want to answer that text.

In the past year there has been an estimated 912,740 crashes just from texting and driving. This addiction has led a lot of people into hurting themselves, others, and even having to live with that pain for the rest of their life. There is a story that really shocked me and will definitely surprise you too.  A girl named Liz Marks was texting while driving and it changed her life forever. The wreck left her blind in one eye. She has no sense of smell and can’t even create tears. She also had to relearn how to talk, read, write and walk on her own. She explained that she was once really popular and was able to associate and now it has been hard for her to recover so she lost many of her close friends. Liz went from being confident to regretting her decision within seconds.

Education systems explain what over confidence does to teens. Teens that are struggling will tend to struggle more due to this overconfidence.  Overconfidence is one of the top causes that can lead to dangerous behavior. For example, texting while driving is influenced by this confidence that needs to be controlled.

We all know that these things happen often and we still feel the need to text. Don’t do something that will affect the rest of your life or end it. We aren’t that good at driving, let’s face it, but texting while driving makes us mindless drivers. The only way for me to stay away from it is to turn it off and put it away. Take this into consideration the next time you decide to let confidence take its course because your life and others is in your own hands. Don’t let your hands touch your phone and then the wheel because in that moment you don’t know where that steering wheel is going to take you.