Figura Advances to Regionals After Girls Golf Makes D2 Shift

Junior Caitlin Figura is one of the top varsity golfers  and competed at the Southern California Regional's this season.

Junior Caitlin Figura is one of the top varsity golfers and competed at the Southern California Regional's this season.

Central Yearbook Photo / Bradley Jaurique

Daveion Robinson

Having received two valley championship wins for the last two years, the girls golf team was focused on taking it all the way this season. However, after being moved up from Division 3 to the more competitive Division 2 level, the team was admittedly nervous  . Though they did not garner a championship title this year, junior golfer Caitlin Figura individually advanced further than any player has in years.

Caitlin proceeded on to the Southern California Regional’s in San Bernardino. She says “I was very nervous but also excited and proud that I made it this far.” Although she managed a solid performance at Regional’s, she was unable to qualify for the  California State Tournament, but says she wasn’t completely crushed as she went in knowing it would be a difficult position to win. Caitlin adds “Going to Southern California Regional’s improved my mindset even more, and I’m determined to go to State next season.”

Head Coach Andres Reyes and Assistant Coach Angel Arroyo knew the leap in divisions would be a tough transition but were determined to keep the team as competitive as possible. The coaches made specific efforts to keep their players thinking like winners despite the change. Senior golfer Maddie Kizirian helped to keep the team spirit high and explains that regardless of circumstances “staying confident is very important.”

Coach Reyes started off as an assistant for Arroyo while coaching Central’s boys golf team, so they’d collaborated for years before taking on the girl’s team. For the past four years Reyes has served as head coach for the two-time championship winning girl’s golf team. Both coaches stated they were proud of how the girls stayed focused and positive under the new pressures of division three. Reyes stated “Golf is 99% mental because it is never going to be perfect. It is good to focus on each shot and not worry about the last one. Golf is definitely more mental than anything.” The team was also young this season, which often guarantees a growth year. The returning group consisted of juniors Caitlin Figura, Serena Dimauro, Jackie Martinusen and senior Maddie Kizirian, while the rest of the team was composed of freshman players  Makayla Goforth, Aliya Sorondo and junior Jacquelyn Martinusen.

Catlin adds that she is already negotiating with colleges and is optimistic about eventually receiving a scholarship.  Maddie reported that her chances at a scholarship look promising this year. She is open to other colleges but is hoping for an offer from Fresno State.

With Maddie being the only senior on the team, the majority of players returning and already focused on reaching new heights next year. After experiencing the Division 2 level, their apprehension has dissipated. Serena Dimauro states, “I believe we will try our hardest to win valleys and will be not only be physically, but mentally prepared next season.”