Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

Strive for Perfection to reach Greatness

Many are wondering how a team like this one transitioned from an unfavorable season to a prominent one, especially under yet another New Head Coach – Kyle Biggs

Quarterback+Trent+Tompkins++on+the+search+for+an+open+receiver+
Quarterback Trent Tompkins  on the search for an open receiver

Quarterback Trent Tompkins on the search for an open receiver

Photo By: Summer Olivas

Photo By: Summer Olivas

At this time last year the Grizzlies had a season record of 4-8, when seeded No. 10 in Division 1 they lost the second round of playoffs. This season the Grizzlies being ranked No. 1 in the valley, went on an 11 game winning streak and fell amongst 3 other teams who fell short and lost the chance of a valley ring. These group of boys had the chance to make history on December 2, 2016 at Koligan Stadium but instead fall short to the Bakersfield Drillers, 21-14 who have won 37 Division I Championships. Quarterback Trent Tompkins takes the blame for the loss, instead of throwing the ball away Tompkins threw the ball down the field seconds before being sacked which costed Central the game, it was intercepted by the Drillers free safety Tahj Wright then five plays later Josh Maran threw a 3-yard pass to Novonte Demison for a Drillers touchdown. This was a team who really wanted to be the first team to bring a section football trophy home in 86 years, not only to their school but to the Central-Fresno community.

We were a little over confident going in that night, we hadn’t played anybody yet but since then the kids dialed in and taken the underdog approach, they’ve had a chip on their shoulder going in each game.”

— Kyle Bigs

Bullard was the season opener, which the Grizzlies had taken a loss of 24-3. According to Defense of Back Carl Homles the team had a lack of preparation that week and suffered from minor mistakes. Coach Kyle Biggs adds “We were a little over confident going in that night, we hadn’t played anybody yet but since then the kids dialed in and taken the underdog approach, they’ve had a chip on their shoulder going in each game.”

Third week of the season the Grizzlies played Frontier High School of Bakersfield, on the third play of the first quarter Corner Back Jaylon Johnson (Centrals very own National Recruit and All-American) returned an interception 45 yards for the first touchdown of the night. To add that same night Central received eight touchdowns by eight different players – (Jaylon Johnson Montrel Garner Kev’vion Schrubb Diotry Brewer Jagade Bishop Chief E Jevon Biggelow Jacob Torres) and a ninety-nine yard return by Kev’vion Schrubb. Starting Quarter Back Trent Tompkins responds by saying “you know it just shows how much depth plays a big role in our success, not only are we able to score in many different ways we have the best line in the valley, which that’s what our opponents should be most afraid of.”

Biggs is the realist coach we could ask for; he made an unbreakable bond with us not only as a team but individually. It’s not all about football, this guy actually cares for us off the field,”

— Diotry Brewer

“Biggs is the realist coach we could ask for; he made an unbreakable bond with us not only as a team but individually. It’s not all about football, this guy actually cares for us off the field,” says starting RB Diotry Brewer. This team has been through 5 new head coaches within the past few years but players like Defense of Back Kev’vion Schrubb and Defense of End Samuel Satele say it feels good knowing Biggs is here to stay and having someone who similitude’s Coach Justin Garza. “Biggs has finally helped guide us find a love for the game again.”

Early in the season Coach Biggs explained some advantages for this team had been speed and depth for some time now, “You can mentally be in the wrong spot or be a little more aggressive and speed makes up for mistakes also, we are deeper than I thought we were, we have had injuries and illnesses and these kids have stepped up and did a great job.”  Wide Receiver Jagade Bishop described Depth as being the major key to winning and being successful, “Sub-ins act as if they are starters and our line is able to rotate without any notice.”